Sunday, February 9, 2014

Dumb Starbucks

People don't really know what to make of it or if it's legal. But in Los Feliz, right on Hillhurst, a place that looks exactly like Starbucks but with the word "DUMB" in front of the name, has popped up.

Dumb Starbucks... the fact that someone did this makes me VERY happy.
Just south of Franklin on the corner of Melbourne in the same outdoor mini-mall as Tubtim (ever been there? I didn't think so) you'll find a really Dumb Starbucks.
 I think in all my time of living in LA I've never even noticed this outdoor mini-mall. Getting lots of attention now...
There were hipsters lined up around the block to get what I hear is pretty crappy coffee but the point wasn't the coffee. It was to be a part of a parody art movement.

I appreciate this little touch on the inside:
Apparently they were out of Dumb Norah Jones.

Dumb Starbucks might be, as @YayLAMag says, a "one note joke" but that is a joke I didn't think of and I really respect. Case in point:
Their legal justification for being able to do this Banksy Style Business Art which reeks of Copyright Infringement or some Legal Throat Clearing Mumbo Jumbo Lawsuit-Waiting-To-Happen is detailed in a letter they have posted at the cash register:
I hope no one sues them or makes them take it down. Because I like it. I hope some day there's a Dumb Target and a Dumb Vons and a Dumb Pinkberry.

I didn't wait in line because I hate lines and I had already heard the coffee was bad and really, it wasn't the point. The point was that they - whoever they may be - did it.

And whoever "they" are, if "they" are reading this, Dumb Starbucks is Stupid Fresh.

My hat is off to you.

Thank you and do this EVERYWHERE.

Dumb Starbucks is located at 1802 Hillhurst Avenue, Los Feliz, CA 90027. Find them on Twitter @dumbstarbucks.

Dumb Iced Tea




No comments:

Post a Comment